Rocketfish Support
FAQ-RF

Rocketfish 2.5” Serial ATA Hard Drive Enclosure (RF-HD3025) FAQ

[ Edited ]
Rocketfish Support
FAQ-RF

Question 1: How do I install my Hard Drive in the enclosure?

Have you tried using your User Guide to help you through this process? If more help is needed follow the steps below to set up your hard drive enclosure:

1. Slide the lock switch to the left to open the enclosure.
  2. Remove the four screws from the printed circuit board, then remove the printed circuit board.
  3. Connect the hard drive to the SATA connector on the printed circuit board.
  4. Secure the hard drive to the printed circuit board with the four screws provided.
  5. Place the printed circuit board/hard drive assembly into the enclosure with the hard drive face down, then secure it to the enclosure with the four screws you previously removed.
  6. Replace the top cover and slide the lock switch to the right to lock the enclosure.
Rocketfish Support
FAQ-RF

Question 2: How do I connect the enclosure to my computer?

[ Edited ]
  1. Have you tried using your User Guide to help you through this process? If more help is needed follow the steps below to connect your enclosure to your computer:

NOTE: Make sure you have installed a hard drive into the enclosure before you connect your enclosure to your computer.

1. Plug the smaller USB 3.0 (Micro-B type) connector on the provided USB Y cable into the port on the enclosure.
  2. Plug the other end of the cable into an available USB port on your computer. For additional power, connect the extra USB connector to the computer, especially for large capacity hard drives.
  3. The operating system automatically detects and sets up the new drive.
    1. If the drive is correctly detected, a new drive letter is assigned to the enclosure:
    2. For Macintosh computers, the new drive letter appears on the desktop.
    3. For PCs, the new drive letter appears in My Computer/Computer.

NOTE: If using a new hard drive, it must be formatted (initialized and partitioned) before it will appear in My Computer/Computer or on your Mac desktop. For steps to format a new hard drive, see Question 3.

Rocketfish Support
FAQ-RF

Question 3: How do I format my new hard drive?

If you installed a new hard drive into your enclosure, follow the steps below to format your new drive:

Formatting the hard drive in Windows:

1. Click Start, then click Control Panel.
  2. Click Performance and Maintenance (in Windows 7 type “Computer Management” in the Start menu text box), then click Administrative Tools.
  3. Click Computer Management, then click Disk Management from the menu on the left side of the screen.
  4. Click on the new drive, then click on the Action tab at the top of the screen.
  5. Go to All Tasks, then click on Format from the menu.
  6. Select the file system and other choices you want, then click OK.

Formatting that hard drive on a Mac:

1. Start the Disk Utility tool (under Applications).
  2. Select the new hard drive you are trying to install.
  3. Click the Erase tab.

Choose a volume format and assign a name to the new drive, then click Erase.

Rocketfish Support
FAQ-RF

Question 4: My computer is not recognizing the hard drive that is in the enclosure.

[ Edited ]

Make sure the drive is functioning. A drive that does not work in a laptop will more than likely not work with this enclosure either. When you connect the enclosure to the PC, do you hear the drive spin up (it may be very faint). Contact your hard drive manufacturer or PC manufacturer for information on testing your hard drive.

• The enclosure may not be receiving enough power to spin up the hard drive. USB ports are supposed to have a power rating of 5.25V/500mA. If the system provides less than 500mA per USB port, the enclosure may not have enough power to spin up the hard drive completely (although the enclosure will light up and you will hear the drive attempting to spin up).
    • For additional power, make sure to connect the extra USB connector to the computer, especially for large capacity hard drives.
  • Is your drive compatible?
    • Check physical size. Does it fit correctly into the enclosure? Make sure your drive does not have any additional rails or mounting hardware connected to it.
  • Is the USB port you are using compatible? USB 2.0 or 3.0 is supported.
  • Make sure the USB cable is connected firmly to your enclosure and computer.
  • Make sure the USB cable is not broken.
  • Open the enclosure and make sure all of the connections are securely fastened.
  • If you have a desktop computer, try using the USB ports on the back of the computer instead of the front USB ports. The cables connecting front USB ports are not always properly shielded and cannot properly handle USB 3.0 speeds.
    • USB 3.0 connectors are blue and are backwards compatible with 2.0. For this enclosure, you must use the supplied USB 3.0 cable even if you are connecting to a USB 2.0 host.
  • Windows may not be able to recognize the partition on the hard drive because it is damaged or not a valid format. You can initialize, partition, and format unrecognized drives by using the software that comes with the hard drive or by using the Disk Manager (Windows users) or Disk Utilities (Mac Users).
  • CAUTION: Doing this will erase any existing data on the drive. If the drive is damaged and you wish to recover the data, continuing WILL overwrite the existing information.
  • If using a new hard drive, have you formatted and partitioned the hard drive? If not, see Question 3 “How do I format my new hard drive” or “Creating a New Partition” in your User Guide. If the hard drive is not formatted and partitioned, Windows will not assign a drive letter.
  • There are some computers that have difficulty starting with a USB hard drive connected. Unplug the hard drive, then restart your computer. Once started, connect the hard drive.
  • Do not use non-powered USB hubs because they often are unable to provide enough power.
Rocketfish Support
FAQ-RF

Question 5: My hard drive is not working.

[ Edited ]
  • Make sure the drive is functioning. A drive that does not work in a laptop will more than likely not work with this enclosure either. When you connect the enclosure to the PC, do you hear the drive spin up (it may be very faint). Contact your hard drive manufacturer or PC manufacturer for information on testing your hard drive.
  • Have you installed your hard drive into the enclosure correctly? For example, did the hard drive click into the SATA connector snugly? Did the screw holes line up? See Question 1 “How do I install my hard drive into my enclosure?” if you need assistance with installation.
  • Check to make sure the USB port is functioning properly. (e.g. are you able to access a USB flash drive, mouse or other peripheral from the same USB port?)
  • Does the drive show up under My Computer (Computer)? If not, see Question 4.
  • The enclosure may not be receiving enough power to spin up the hard drive. USB ports are supposed to have a power rating of 5.25V/500mA. If the system provides less than 500mA per USB port, the enclosure may not have enough power to spin up the hard drive completely (although the enclosure will light up and you will hear the drive attempting to spin up).
    • For additional power, make sure to connect the extra USB connector to the computer, especially for large capacity hard drives.
  • Is your drive compatible?
    • Check physical size. Does it fit correctly into the enclosure? Make sure your drive does not have any additional rails or mounting hardware connected to it.
  • Is the USB port you are using compatible? USB 2.0 or 3.0 is supported.
  • Make sure the USB cable is connected firmly to your enclosure and computer.
  • Make sure the USB cable is not broken.
  • Open the enclosure and make sure all of the connections are securely fastened.
  • If you have a desktop computer, try using the USB ports on the back of the computer instead of the front USB ports. The cables connecting front USB ports are not always properly shielded and cannot properly handle USB 3.0 speeds.
    • USB 3.0 connectors are blue and are backwards compatible with 2.0. For this enclosure, you must use the supplied USB 3.0 cable even if you are connecting to a USB 2.0 host.
  • Windows may not be able to recognize the partition on the hard drive because it is damaged or not a valid format. You can initialize, partition, and format unrecognized drives by using the software that comes with the hard drive or by using the Disk Manager (Windows users) or Disk Utilities (Mac Users).
  • CAUTION: Doing this will erase any existing data on the drive. If the drive is damaged and you wish to recover the data, continuing WILL overwrite the existing information.
  • If using a new hard drive, have you formatted and partitioned the hard drive? If not, see Question 3 “How do I format my new hard drive” or “Creating a New Partition” in your User Guide. If the hard drive is not formatted and partitioned, Windows will not assign a drive letter.
  • There are some computers that have difficulty starting with a USB hard drive connected. Unplug the hard drive, then restart your computer. Once started, connect the hard drive.
  • Do not use non-powered USB hubs because they often are unable to provide enough power.
Rocketfish Support
FAQ-RF

Question 6: My hard drive does not fit in the enclosure.

[ Edited ]
    The drive either fits or it doesn’t. If the drive is much too big, you need the larger 3.5” hard drive enclosure (RF-HD3035). Some 2.5” (notebook) drives do exceed the height requirement and will be 12mm in height (thickness).

NOTE: 2.5” references the diameter of the INTERNAL disk, so you wouldn’t measure the outside of the hard drive and get 2.5”.

Rocketfish Support
FAQ-RF

Question 7: The data on my hard drive is corrupt!

[ Edited ]
    Connecting your hard drive to the enclosure is just like connecting a hard drive to the inside of your computer. The enclosure itself will not corrupt your data. If data has become corrupt, it is likely caused by removing the enclosure while data was still being written to the hard drive, from subjecting the drive to some kind of physical trauma (even very subtle trauma), or due to a design or quality issue with the original drive manufacturer.

CAUTION: Never remove the enclosure while data is being written to the hard drive! Doing so may cause the hard drive to become corrupt. Make sure all applications being run off the disk and all files in use are no longer in use before removing the unit. For Windows, use the Safely Remove Hardware icon to eject the drive before disconnecting. For Mac, drag the hard drive to the trash before disconnecting.

Rocketfish Support
FAQ-RF

Question 8: Can I boot from the enclosure?

[ Edited ]

It depends on if the computer supports booting to a USB device. You’ll need to prepare the drive to become a boot device. Please refer to the documentation that came with your computer.

Rocketfish Support
FAQ-RF

Question 9: There is a USB icon in the system tray, but I can’t find the hard disk in My Computer.

[ Edited ]
  • Make sure the hard drive has been initialized and partitioned if using a new hard drive. If you need to do this, see Question 3 “How do I format my new hard drive” or “Creating a New Partition” in your User Guide.

• If you have Windows7, you may not have rights to the files and folders and may need to take Ownership of these files and folders. Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670 for more information.