Rocketfish Support

Rocketfish Mini Display Port-to-HDMI Adapter (RF-AP305) FAQ (13-0159)

[ Edited ]

Setup

Question 1: How do I connect the adapter from my computer to my TV or monitor?

Question 2: How do I connect multiple TVs or monitors to my computer?

Question 3: What should I do if my computer won’t recognize a TV or monitor?

Question 4: How do I extend my screen to have an extended desktop (different image on each screen)?

Question 5: How do I switch the order of my extended desktops?

Question 6: How do I set up my monitor or TV to mirror my computer desktop (same image on both scree...

Question 7: How do I make some monitors an extended desktop and others mirror my computer desktop?

Video

Question 8: What should I do if I can’t see my computer screen on my TV or monitor?

Question 9: What should I do if my TV, monitor, or computer resolution is poor or distorted?

Question 10: Will the adapter work with a 3D TV?

Audio

Question 11: How do I play audio through a TV or external speakers instead of my computer?

Question 12: What should I do if audio will not work with my adapter?

Question 13: What should I do if my audio is cutting in and out?

General

Question 14: What does the Mini Display Port-to-HDMI Adapter do?

Question 15: What is the length of the adapter?

Question 16: What computers are compatible with the adapter?

Question 17: Will this adapter work with Thunderbolt technology?

Question 18: How many TVs or monitors can I connect to my computer?

Question 19: Can I use this adapter to connect to a Thunderbolt display?

Question 20: Does this adapter work with Eyefinity?

Rocketfish Support

Question 1: How do I connect the adapter from my computer to my TV or monitor?

[ Edited ]

Note: You do not need this cable if you have a Thunderbolt display. Instead, use the Thunderbolt cable that is integrated on the back of the Thunderbolt display.

1. Connect the adapter’s mini display port connector to your computer’s display port or Thunderbolt port, then connect the adapter’s HDMI jack to an HDMI cable (not included).
  2. Connect the HDMI cable to your monitor’s HDMI connector.
  3. Connect your TV or monitor to a power outlet.
  4. Turn on your computer and TV or monitor.
  5. Switch your TV or monitor to the HDMI input/source that matches the input jack your computer is connected to. Your computer desktop content is displayed on the TV or monitor.
  6. For information on configuring your screens, see Question 4, Question 5, and Question 6.
13-0159_graphic.jpg
Rocketfish Support

Question 2: How do I connect multiple TVs or monitors to my computer?

[ Edited ]

Important Notes:

• You will need a mini display port to HDMI adapter (RF-AP305) and HDMI to HDMI cable (not included) for each TV or monitor that you want to connect to your computer.
  • You cannot use this adapter to connect a Thunderbolt display to your computer.
  • Some Mac computers can only connect with one display. See the documentation that came with your computer for more information.
  • For information on configuring your screens, see Question 4, Question 5, and Question 6.

If you have two TVs or monitors with HDMI ports:

Note: You cannot daisy-chain non-Thunderbolt TVs or monitors. For this configuration, your computer must have:

• Two mini display ports
    OR
  • Two Thunderbolt ports
    OR
  • One mini display port and one Thunderbolt port

1. Connect the adapter’s mini display port connector to your computer’s display port or Thunderbolt port.
  2. Connect the adapter’s HDMI jack to an HDMI cable (not included).
  3. Connect the HDMI cable to your TV or monitor’s HDMI connector.
  4. Connect the TV or monitor to a power outlet, then turn it on.
  5. Switch your TV or monitor to the HDMI input/source that matches the input jack your computer is connected to, then wait for your computer to recognize the display.
    Note: See Question 3 if your computer does not recognize your display.
  6. Repeat steps 1 – 5 to connect your second TV or monitor.

13-0159_graphic_1.jpg

If you have one Thunderbolt display and one TV/monitor with an HDMI port:

Note: You cannot daisy-chain a non-Thunderbolt TV/monitor and Thunderbolt display together. For this configuration, your computer must have:

• One Thunderbolt port and one mini display port
    OR
    Two Thunderbolt ports

1. Connect the Thunderbolt cable on the back of your Thunderbolt display to your computer’s Thunderbolt port.
    Note:  If your computer is a laptop, plug the MagSafe connector into your computer’s power port to keep your computer charged.
  2. Connect the Thunderbolt display’s power cord to a power outlet.
  3. The Thunderbolt display automatically turns on. Wait for the Thunderbolt display to display your computer desktop.
  4. Connect the adapter’s mini display port connector to your computer’s mini display port or second Thunderbolt port.
  5. Connect the adapter’s HDMI jack to an HDMI cable (not included).
  6. Connect the HDMI cable to your TV or monitor’s HDMI connector.
  7. Plug your TV or monitor into a power outlet, then turn it on.
  8. Switch your TV or monitor to the HDMI input/source that matches the input jack your computer is connected to. Your computer desktop content is displayed on the TV or monitor.
    Note: See Question 3 if your computer does not recognize your display.

13-0159_graphic_2.jpg

If you have two Thunderbolt displays:

• It is possible to daisy-chain two Thunderbolt displays to your computer. However, this adapter is not needed to connect a Thunderbolt display to your computer. Instead, use the Thunderbolt cable that is integrated on the back of the Thunderbolt display. See the instructions that came with your Thunderbolt display for connection information.
Rocketfish Support

Question 3: What should I do if my computer won’t recognize a TV or monitor?

[ Edited ]
  • Make sure that your TV or monitor is connected to a power outlet and turned on.
  • Make sure that your computer is turned on.
  • Make sure that the adapter and HDMI cable (not included) connections are correct and secure.
  • Make sure that you have selected the correct input source on your TV or monitor.
  • Navigate to System Preferences, click Displays, then click Detect Displays.
  • If you are connecting multiple TVs or monitors to your computer, a mini display port TV or monitor will not function if it is connected to a Thunderbolt TV or monitor. See Question 2 for more information.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If your TV or monitor won’t recognize audio input from your computer, see Question 12.
Rocketfish Support

Question 4: How do I make my screen have an extended desktop (different image on each screen)?

[ Edited ]
  1. Connect your TV or monitor to your computer. See Question 1 for setup information.
  2. Navigate to System Preferences, then click Displays.
  3. Click Arrangement, then remove the check mark from Mirror Displays. Your displays will automatically refresh to make the change.
Rocketfish Support

Question 5: How do I switch the order of my extended desktops?

[ Edited ]
  1. Connect your TV or monitor to your computer. See Question 1 for setup information.
  3. Click Arrangement. The Arrangement tab opens.
  4. If Mirror Displays is selected, unselect it. Your displays will automatically refresh to make the change.
  5. Click and drag the display icons to arrange them in the order that you want.
    Note: You can also click and drag the menu bar onto a different display.
Rocketfish Support

Question 6: How do I make my monitor/TV to mirror my computer desktop (same image on both screens)?

[ Edited ]
  1. Connect your TV or monitor to your computer. See Question 1 for setup information.
  2. Navigate to System Preferences, then click Displays. Two Display windows open.
  3. Click Arrangement, then select Mirror Displays.
Rocketfish Support

Question 7: How do I make some monitors an extended desktop and others mirror my computer desktop?

[ Edited ]

If your computer is connected to multiple monitors, you can have some monitors extend your desktop and others mirror your computer’s desktop.

1. Connect your TV or monitor to your computer. See Question 2 for setup information.
  3. Click Arrangement, then remove the check mark from Mirror Displays. Your displays will automatically refresh to make the change.
  4. Click and drag the display icons to arrange them in the order that you want.
  5. Press and hold option on your keyboard and drag a display icon onto another display to mirror those displays.
Rocketfish Support

Question 8: What should I do if I can’t see my computer screen on my TV or monitor?

• Make sure that your TV or monitor is connected to a power outlet and turned on.
  • Make sure that your computer is turned on.
  • Make sure that the adapter and HDMI cable (not included) connections are correct and secure.
  • Make sure that you have selected the correct input source on your TV or monitor.
  • Navigate to System Preferences, click Displays, then click Detect Displays.
  • If you are connecting multiple TVs or monitors to your computer, a mini display port TV or monitor will not function if it is connected to a Thunderbolt TV or monitor.
  • Restart your computer.
Rocketfish Support

Question 9: What should I do if my TV, monitor, or computer resolution is poor or distorted?

• Check the resolution of your TV or monitor. The adapter supports up to 1920 × 1200 resolution. If the resolution of your monitor is larger than this, the resolution of your screen may look poor.
  • After connecting your TV or monitor to your computer, your computer attempts to find the best resolution. Change the resolution of your TV or monitor manually.

To change the resolution of your TV, monitor, or computer:

1. Navigate to System Preferences, then click Displays. Two Display windows open.
  2. On the Color LCD window, click the Display tab, then select your computer screen’s resolution from the list.
    Note: To find your computer’s default resolution, select About this Mac from the Apple menu, click More Info…, then click the Displays tab.
  3. On your TV or monitor’s display window, click the Display tab, then select your preferred resolution from the list.