Visitor

Rocket boost wireless - Help not working properly

[ Edited ]

Hey-

Looking for some help from the folks out there.  I have a Rocketfish Rocket boost wireless outdoor speaker kit that worked fine (despite the low sound volume) last summer.  It has been stored in a closet all winter long and I took it out to use if for a party this weekend and the receiever seems to work fine but the speaker isn't working anymore.  It will not power on at all using the (8) "C" batteries but will with the AC power.  When you power it up with AC power and connect all the proper cable (using Panadora on my phone as a source for this test) and no sound and only one light (power) illuminates.  The BASS light and all others will not light up (or appear to be functional and working).  Not really sure what to try next.  I swapped out the cables and the source device for music all with the same results.

On the sound issue, the speaker idea is great, but the volume of the speaker is pretty weak and not what I was expecting after a LONG conversation with the Best Buy rep, I was told this device was just what I was looking for.  I asked for them to turn on the floor demo so I'd be sure it had the power I desired and they said the couldn't.  Needless to say after spend the money to buy it, it's kind of been a little disappointing.

I have the Model # RF-RBWS02, the serial # 11F07A0032326 and was manufactued in June 2011.

Any help you could offer would be very much appreciated.

Regards-

Johnnay

Regular Contributor

Re: Rocket boost wireless - Help not working properly

Hello ,

Welcome to Community@Rocketfish™!

I have a few different steps to try.  First make sure the sender's power light is solid green and the speaker's power light is solid blue.  Make sure the audio source is connected to the IN jack on the sender.  If you still aren't getting sound try hitting the source button on the speaker to see if you can get it working.  If the speaker still won't work let me know the color of each light and if they are static or flashing.

Regards,
Cory
Rocketfish™ Support

Visitor

Ok, I believe that I have already tried the first couple steps and will verify the condition of the lights and report results back tomorrow.

Visitor

Alright Corey, I know this took me way to long to reply back, but I just haven't made the time to check this out - except for this weekend when I wanted to play music outdoors for my Memorial Day party.

>>COREY SAID: First make sure the sender's power light is solid green and the speaker's power light is solid blue.

Did that, power on sender was blinking/solid green and the speaker was solid blue.

>>COREY SAID: Make sure the audio source is connected to the IN jack on the sender.

Confirmed that the audio source was going into the IN jack on the rear of the sender.

>>COREY SAID: If you still aren't getting sound try hitting the source button on the speaker to see if you can get it working.

I tried this an nothing would come out of the speaker regardless of how many times I hit source button on the speaker.

>>COREY SAID: If the speaker still won't work let me know the color of each light and if they are static or flashing.

The light on the speaker was solid blue and the light on the sender switched between solid and blinking.

I also didn't know if it was a power issue, but when I remove the AC power and go with the full compliment of C-sized batteries, the speaker will not even power up....no lights of any kind.  If you plug in the AC power with the batteries in the unit, the charging light comes on, however, they are not rechargable batteries.

I'm starting to think this was a complete waste of @ $200.  Nothing but problems from the start with this unit.  If I had this to do over again, I think I would have gone with a more reputable brand that has proven success.  The gent who sold this to me at Best Buy raved about how loud the unit was and I have yet to really ever hear it pump out tunes at a party level....it's more like light background music.  I wanted to see it in use at the store, but they never hooked up the display unit for demos but the rep assured me this was "one awesome unit" and "will be exactly what you are looking for".  WRONG.  This weekend I gave up on this thing and used my neighbors Cambridge Soundworks iPod speaker and it was awesome.

I'd really like to get some help to fix this thing or for you folks to help me get something that works.  $200 was a lot to spend on a product  that doesn't deliver as advertised.

I'd be more than happy to work with a technician over the phone while I'm in front of it to troubleshoot the unit rather than this back and forth on the website.  I realize that this allows the community to see problems and solutions, but it also drags out the resolution time. 

Let me know how we can proceed.  Many thanks.

John

Regular Contributor

Hello johnnay,

You can certainly call our support center to try and get a quicker resolution.

Rocketfish Support Line: 1-800-620-2790
Hours of Operation:
7am to Midnight (CST)
7 days a week

Based on what you are describing it sounds like the sender isn't remaining paired properly.  The senders light should stay solid green the entire time they are connected.  I would suggest leaving the sender unplugged for a full 30 seconds.  Once it is plugged back in you will want to try pairing the sender and speaker again.  Hold down the power button on the sender until the light flashes rapidly green.  While it is still rapidly flashing you will want to put the speaker in pairing mode by the power button on it until it is rapidly flashing blue.  When the both turn solid again the will have be paired again.  Hopefully that resolves the issue, but if it doesn't you may need to replace the sender to get your unit working.

Regards,
Cory
Rocketfish™ Support

Visitor

I totally forgot about this thread and have just been using this $200 speaker as a door stop since it really has never worked as advertised from the day I bought it (for the most part). I will try this tonight and see if I can make it work. I guess I am way beyond any warranty at this point (even thought the unit has maybe worked three (3) times ever). If I am forced to purchase something new to make this work, I would just consider spending another $200 and just purchasing one of the many products out there that are now getting exceptional reviews (i.e. Jambox, Sonus, BeatsPill, etc.) instead of hoping that this will actually work.

Visitor

Finally got around to trying your suggestion and it didn't fix the issue. Not sure how much a new sender is.....is there an option where I can send it in to you folks to test it? If it will end up costing more than $100, I think I would rather spend more and just buy a different branded speaker that I think would be more reliable. I  called the Best Buy where I bought this product and they said they are no longer carrying these speakers so I'm not even sure where I could go to get a new one. Also, how could I be assured that simply purchasing a new sender will fix the issue? Please advise when you can and a have a great long weekend.

Thanks. John

Visitor

Any feedback you can provide or other suggestions? At this point, my $200 wireless speaker would be best used as a boat anchor. Sucks to have paid so much for a product that hasn't lived up to the expectations of greatness that the Best Buy represenative spoke very highly of. Now I'm wondering if that Best Buy person had ever used it outside the walls of the store. Not impressed at all. Please help.

Visitor

Hello Rocketfish? Do you have any other suggestions?

Visitor

Hey, no worries. I went out and bought a new SONY bluetooth speaker that works fine. I guess you can consider this solved as I'm going to use your speaker as a boat anchor since that's basically all it's good for at this point.

Grade: F-