Rocketfish Support
FAQ-RF

RF-WHD210 4-Port WirelessHD Kit (FAQ)

[ Edited ]

Setup Questions

Question 1: How do I set up my WirelessHD Kit?

Question 2: How can I switch between my Rocketfish WirelessHD transmitter and my laptop PC with inte...

Question 3: How can I get my PC (without WiHD transmitter inside) to connect to my TV through this W...

Placement Questions

Question 4: Will this product transmit through walls or floors?

Question 5: How far apart can the WirelessHD transmitter and receiver be placed from each other?

Question 6: Does the WirelessHD transmitter need to be placed within direct Line of Sight of the rec...

Question 7: Can I place the WirelessHD receiver inside of a cabinet?

Question 8: Can I place the WirelessHD transmitter inside a cabinet?

Usage Questions

Question 9: Why don’t I see or hear anything on my TV or projector?

Question 10: Why can’t I get the WirelessHD transmitter and receiver to link?

Question 11: How do I switch from one source component to another connected to a single WirelessHD t...

Question 12: Why does it take so long to switch from one HDMI port to another on the transmitter?

Question 13: Will the WirelessHD kit work with a gaming system?

Question 14: How can I switch the WirelessHD output of my transmitter to a different WirelessHD rece...

Question 15: How can I switch the WirelessHD input of my receiver to a different WirelessHD transmit...

Question 16: My WirelessHD kit was working, now I am receiving the message, “Please Wait” on my TV. ...

Question 17: Every time my U-verse set top box goes into power-saving mode, my WirelessHD kit loses ...

Question 18: My WirelessHD kit will not work with my Dish HD receiver. How do I get them working tog...

Question 19: When I change the input on my display, and then change the input back to the WirelessHD...

Question 20: My kit will not transmit when using a Mac through DVI to HDMI, but it will work when co...

Question 21: I have no sound coming from my TV when I connect my devices using the WirelessHD kit, b...

Specification Questions

Question 22: Is your video and audio really uncompressed AND lossless?  A lot of other wireless prod...

Question 23: What if my video and audio does not look as good as when my source is directly connecte...

Question 24: Will this product work with a 120 Hz, 240 Hz or 600 Hz TV?

Question 25: Will the WirelessHD kit work with 3D?

General Questions

Question 26: Is the WirelessHD kit certified by any organization?

Question 27: Will the WirelessHD kit work with other WiHD certified products?

Question 28: Where can I learn more about WirelessHD?

Question 29: Does the chipset used in this WirelessHD kit have a software development kit (SDK)?

Question 30: Is the driver software for this WirelessHD kit open source?

Question 31: I have misplaced my AC power adapters, can I purchase replacements?

Question 32: Can I get more information about the Rocketfish 4-Port WirelessHD Kit?

Question 33: Where can I find more information about my warranty?

Rocketfish Support
FAQ-RF

Question 1: How do I set up my WirelessHD Kit?

Have you tried using your User Guide to help you through this process? If more help is needed follow the steps below to connect the WirelessHD transmitter and receiver:

1. Connect up to 4 HDMI enabled source components, such as a Blu-ray/DVD player, cable/satellite box, gaming console, laptop, etc., to the HDMI input jacks on the transmitter, using high-speed HDMI cables.
  2. Connect the display device, such as a TV or projector, to the receiver with a high-speed HDMI cable.
  3. Connect the AC power adapters to the transmitter and receiver and to power outlets.

Note: The included AC adapters may be labeled “Receiver” and “Transmitter.” Ensure that the correct adapter is used for each device.

4. Power on your TV or projector and select the HDMI input that the WirelessHD receiver is connected to.
  5. Power on at least one of the source components connected to the WirelessHD transmitter.
  6. Power on the WirelessHD transmitter and receiver. The HDMI input port LED on the transmitter should light continuously (stop blinking) to indicate that the desired input is selected with active video. If this selection does not occur automatically, use the included remote control or HDMI Select Switch on back of the transmitter to select the desired input port. See step 5 in “Using the WirelessHD Kit” section on page 7 of the User Guide.

Note: The transmitter and receiver are pre-paired and should discover each other shortly after being powered on. However, should you experience an excessively long delay (over five minutes) for the link to be established, press HDMI/WVAN on the back of the WirelessHD transmitter for at least three seconds to establish the link (the WirelessHD receiver must also be powered on during this process).

Rocketfish Support
FAQ-RF

Question 2: How can I switch between my transmitter and my laptop PC with integrated WirelessHD?

Check with your PC manufacturer to be sure that you have the latest version of the WAC (WirelessHD Application Controller) software installed on your PC. Then use the following sequence:

1. View one of the HDMI sources connected to your WirelessHD transmitter on your TV through your WirelessHD receiver.
  2. Press the power/sleep button on the Rocketfish IR remote control to put the transmitter to sleep.  You will then see no video on the TV after the Rocketfish transmitter has disconnected from the receiver.
  3. Run the WAC (WirelessHD Application Controller) on your laptop with integrated WirelessHD. If needed, refer to the documentation from your laptop.
  4. Press the refresh button on the WAC under Network. The available sync devices will be shown.
  5. Select the Rocketfish WirelessHD receiver and then press the Connect button on the WAC to connect this device.
  6. The laptop connects with the Rocketfish WirelessHD receiver and the laptop video is shown on the TV.

NOTE: If the connection process fails when switching between the Rocketfish WirelessHD transmitter and the laptop, try the procedure again.  Sometimes you may need to repeat it 1 or 2 times. Future updates to the WAC software on your laptop may reduce the number of connection attempts when switching between the laptop and other WirelessHD sources.

To switch back to displaying content from one of the HDMI sources connected to the Rocketfish transmitter:

1. Press Disconnect to disconnect the WAC.
  2. Press the power/sleep button on the Rocketfish IR remote to power on the WirelessHD transmitter. The transmitter automatically connects to the Rocketfish receiver and displays the active HDMI source on the TV (note that an active HDMI source must be selected on the WirelessHD transmitter).
Rocketfish Support
FAQ-RF

Question 3: How do I connect a PC (no WiHD transmitter inside) to my TV through this adapter kit?

[ Edited ]

My TV is showing no signal or distorted video.  The link/power LEDs on the transmitter and/or receiver may also be blinking (showing no WiHD connection).

Here are a few troubleshooting steps to try:

1. CHECK TV and CABLES: Verify that your TV supports the PC video format you are outputting on HDMI by testing a direct cabled connection from the PC to the TV.  This will also help prove whether any VGA/DVI/Display Port to HDMI adapter you may be using is working.
  2. USE “EXTEND” or “PROJECTOR ONLY” MODE: In Windows Vista or Windows 7, hold the Windows Key and press “P” repeatedly to cycle through display modes (Disconnect Projector, Duplicate, Extend, and Projector Only). On a Mac, open System Preferences, select the display pane, then select the Arrangement tab, and toggle the Mirror Displays checkbox between mirrored and extended desktop modes.
    • Duplicate tends to have the most problems as this sends the native laptop panel resolution to the TV which either the TV or WiHD adapters may not support.
    • Extend tends to be the best as this will send the preferred video format for your TV out the HDMI port and the preferred panel/monitor resolution to the local display.  This dual resolution mode can reduce performance during gaming or playback of HD video in which case “Projector Only” mode may result in smoother video playback on some systems.  Use the Display control panel (Windows) or the Arrangements tab (Mac) to try these modes.
  3. CHECK VIDEO FORMAT: Use the Windows Display Control panel (or equivalent on a Mac) to set the video resolution on your PC’s HDMI output to one of the following formats that are supported by the WirelessHD adapters:
  • 640 x 480 /60Hz (VGA)
  • 800 x 600 / 60Hz (SVGA)
  • 1024 x 768 / 60 Hz (XGA)
  • 1280 x1024/ 60 Hz (SXGA)
  • 1680 x 1050 / 60 Hz (WSXGA+).
Rocketfish Support
FAQ-RF

Question 4: Will this product transmit through walls or floors?

No. The WirelessHD kit operates in the 60 GHz frequency, which allows for the necessary bandwidth to send full HDMI signals with no data compression or bit dropping, but is not designed to penetrate walls or floors.

Rocketfish Support
FAQ-RF

Question 5: How far apart can the WirelessHD transmitter and receiver be placed from each other?

• The maximum operating range is about 32 feet, or 10 meters. 
  • For best performance and range, mount the WirelessHD receiver either:
    • Vertically on the wall using the included mounting bracket next to the TV, or
    • Upside-down on the ceiling next to a ceiling-mounted projector (not behind the TV or projector).
  • Although the transmitter and receiver do not require line of sight, for best performance, it is desirable that the Rocketfish and WiHD logos on the receiver are clearly visible from where the transmitter is located.
  • The receiver should be orientated horizontally such that the Rocketfish logo is parallel to the ceiling/floor (not rotated so that the logo is parallel to the walls).
Rocketfish Support
FAQ-RF

Question 6: Does the transmitter need to be placed within direct line of sight of the receiver?

No, the transmitter uses a narrow focused 60 GHz RF (Radio Frequency) beam that is capable of scanning the full room to find the receiver.  The transmitter can generally always find the receiver as long as the beam path is not blocked by metal or some other very thick or dense materials.

The 60GHz beam does not penetrate well through thick materials like walls, ceilings, floors, or people.  Instead the beam bounces off the surface of these obstacles and can maintain a full quality HD video connection at 4 Gbps even though one or two bounces are needed for the transmitter beam to reach the receiver even when they are positioned such that there is no direct line of sight path between the receiver and the transmitter.

For best performance the receiver should always be wall mounted near the TV (or ceiling mounted near a projector) such that the front side of the receiver (with the Rocketfish and WiHD logos) has a clear view of the area of the room where the transmitter is located.  Such mounting allows it to receive 60 GHz beams from any angle off of the walls, ceiling, or floor.  The receiver should never be mounted behind a TV or projector as the metal in the display will block the 60 GHz beam and give the transmitter fewer beam path options to reach the receiver.

Rocketfish Support
FAQ-RF

Question 7: Can I place the WirelessHD receiver inside of a cabinet?

No, for best performance the receiver should be wall mounted near the TV or ceiling mounted near the projector such that the front side of the receiver (with the Rocketfish and WiHD logos) has clear view of the full room.

Rocketfish Support
FAQ-RF

Question 8: Can I place the WirelessHD transmitter inside a cabinet?

Yes, the 60 GHz beam from the transmitter can penetrate through many thin materials that are not very dense like wood, glass, or paper, but it cannot penetrate through very dense materials like metal or stone.  You can try placing the transmitter inside of a cabinet located within 32 feet of the receiver within the same room.  If the video quality does not look the same as an HDMI cable, you may need to place the transmitter on top of the cabinet in case the 60 GHz beam cannot penetrate well through your cabinet or otherwise has a hard time to find a good lossless path from the transmitter to the receiver.

Rocketfish Support
FAQ-RF

Question 9: Why don’t I see or hear anything on my TV or projector?

• Make sure that the TV or projector is switched to the correct HDMI input to which the WirelessHD receiver is connected.     
  • Make sure that your source device is powered on and that the transmitter is switched to the correct input.
  • Verify that your HDMI cables, the HDMI input on the TV, and the source video format is supported by the TV. Connect each of the cables in your setup between the HDMI source and the TV (temporarily bypassing the WirelessHD transmitter and receiver) to check that you can see a good picture with sound on the TV.