Visitor

RF-G1185 and Apple TV Gen 4

I have a new Apple TV (Gen 4) connected to port 2 and a Xfinity box connected to port 1 of a RF-G1185. When I select the Apple TV port 2 it momentarily displays and then returns to the Xfinity port 1. It doesn't always do this. I changed the auto-off setting on the Apple TV to "never" and it seemed to take care of the problem, but now it's doing it again. I didn't have this problem with the Apple TV Gen 3.

Visitor

Re: RF-G1185 and Apple TV Gen 4

Update: Workaround that seems to be stable is to plug Xfinity into port 2 and Apple TV into port 1. With this setup autoswitching has stopped (at least for now). I'd still like to know what is causing this since it seems other instances are showing up in this forum.

Rocketfish Support

Hello mikedoyle61,

Welcome to Community@ Rocketfish™!

Hopefully your issue is resolved. 

If the issue comes back, you may want to go into all of the device settings and turn off the CEC setting on each devcie. CEC is the feature that allows HDMI devices to communicate to each other and it has been known to cause issue just like this. 

Regards,
Ryan
Rocketfish™ Support

[ Edited ]

Hello Zac,

I tried moving my new Apple TV to port 1 and the cable to port 2, my dvd to port 3.

as long as my cable box is off, no auto switching occurs.  as soon as I turn on the cable box, while watching Apple TV, the port auto switches to the cable TV, even though it is on Port 2 now.

The first day I used this, it worked great .  Second day, this auto switch problem, third day worked great, fourth day auto switching again.

Sometimes I want to switch between Apple TV and the Cable box, to check any program in progress, rewind if I missed something.  But when the cable box is off, it stops any rewind or playback.  In other wirds, you get live at the moment and not what the DVR has stored, because now the DVR is off all the time.

You mentioned something about a CEC setting in another forum.  I searched my settings on the Apple TV and cant' find anything called CEC.  I can't find anything on my cable box setup either.

IIs there a solution for this or should I just give up and buy a more reliable product.  I thought this was an upgrade from my other switcher, but so far am not impressed

FOUND the issue: - My TV does not have SCEC control, too old.  so the Apple TV does not pick that up.  However, direct TV upgraded the receivers and there is an obscure "setting" to turn off CEC.  Now everything works perfectly.

Thanks

Highlighted
Rocketfish Support

Hello aliceann54,

Welcome to Community@ Rocketfish™!

Excellent news! I'm glad you were able to get the issue corrected and thank you for sharing your solution. 

Regards,
Ryan
Rocketfish™ Support